Fall Break Travel: Packing Smart
Keeping a “Family Packing List” is a great way to limit the number of times you say “oh I forgot to bring that” during your travels. Below is a fairly detailed list to get you started. You wonʼt need everything on this list for every trip. There may be some things your family needs to pack that isnʼt included below. Just use this to get started and as you pack you can add/remove items as needed. Keep your updated list for the next time you travel.
Adult Clothes – Jacket/Coat, Scarf/Gloves, Shirts, Bottoms (pants/shorts/skirts), PJs, Under Garments, Belt, Swimsuit, Socks, Hat, Tennis Shoes, Sandals, Sunglasses, Jewelry, Special Occasion Outfits (do you need your running clothes or a fancy dress/shoes for a nice dinner)
Toiletries – Cotton Balls, Q Tips, Brush, Hairspray/Moose/Gel, Shampoo, Conditioner, Perfume, Tweezers, Nail Clippers, Tooth Brush/Paste, Floss, Make Up, Make Up Remover, Face Soap, Hair Dryer, Nail Polish, Nail Polish Remover, Nail File, Deodorant, Bath Sponge, Soap, “Feminine Products”, Razor, Shave Gel, Lotion, Curling/Flat Iron, Sunblock, Bug Spray, Contact Lens Case/Solution
Children – Stuffed Animals, Toys, Portable Crib w/ Blankets, Infant Carrier, Hat, Diapers/Wipes, Swimsuit/Swim Diapers, Water Wings, Bibs, Clothes, Shoes, PJs, Toiletries, Jacket/Coat, Scarf/Gloves
Medicines – Headache Meds, Allergy Meds, Tylenol, Tums, Childrenʼs Meds, Prescription Medications
Food – Snacks, Breakfast Foods, Milk, Cups/Plates, Paper Towels, Silverware, Bottles or Sippy Cups, Bottle Brush, Refillable Water Bottles, Baby Food, Formula, Snack Bowls
Miscellaneous – Money & Cards, Air Mattress, Sheets, Blanket, Pillow, Bible, Alarm Clock, Camera, Towels, Paper/Pen, Clothes Detergent, Dryer Sheets, Plastic Bags (ziplock for packing toiletries and trash bags for carrying home dirty/wet laundry), Umbrella, Books, Poncho, Tickets/Itinerary, Directions, Reservation Confirmations, Movies, Computer with Charger, Phone Charger, Quarters for Laundry Machines, Wet Ones Wipes, First Aid Kit, Backpack, Flashlight, Extra Batteries for Electronics
Additions For Your Family – __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tips for Packing Smart:
1. Plan to use only one or two pairs of shoes.
2. Plan to do laundry mid-trip. Only pack outfits for half of the days you will be gone then do laundry and wear everything a second time. (Don’t forget to bring quarters from home so you don’t have to dig around in the car for $3.00 in change.)
3. If you plan to purchase and wear t-shirts during your trip, you donʼt need to bring as many from home.
4. If traveling by plane, keep important items in your carry on or purse – prescriptions, itinerary, confirmations, tickets, passport, photo ID, credit cards, valuables, etc.
5. If traveling by car, be sure to pack plenty of snacks and activities to keep everyone happy during the trip. Hereʼs more on Travel With Children.